RE5RE05A issue

RE5RE05A issue

Postby Allimax » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Let me start by saying I'm not a trans guy by trade but I do have 40 years in the Automotive field. I bought this Titan from a customer a few years ago and the other week it started to slip in 4th and was giving me a P 1716 code. o. I've done 4 other various automatics over the years so I figured I'd tackle this one myself. Let me state this one was not a coolant issue so the VB and TCM were cleaned and re-used. Inside I found a bad Low Coast Clutch solinoid (2nd design VB) and the Input Clutchs were shot, every thing else looked surprisingly good for 160K on the clock. I ran down to the Transtar in Beltsville, MD and purchased a kit with new friction and steels and a reman TC. Upon the advice reading in here I left all the rings in place and re-used the old ones. All the frictions and steels where replaced as well as the three different clutch apply pistons. After a re-learn I took it out last night. Reverse, 1st and 2nd feel fine but when she goes for 3rd it's like the brakes are being applied. Suggestions on where I should start to look?
Allimax

Re: RE5RE05A issue

Postby transpck08 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:00 pm

Sounds like you might have a sprag installed backwards.
transpck08

Postby Allimax » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Well I got a chance and pulled the trans back out. Honestly, I was thinking a sprag also before the above response. I've pulled it down to the last sprag and all three of those spin the way they should. Think I'll pull the VB apart and re-check everything there. Any other suggestions while it's out of the truck would be appreciated.
Allimax

Postby dhritsko » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:39 pm

I looked everywhere and have no idea , sorry
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries
Technical Service Manager
dhritsko

Return to Import Automatic Transmissions