Factory glued on separator plate gaskets

Factory glued on separator plate gaskets

Postby cktrans » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:19 am

Does anybody have a good idea to get the glued on gaskets off of the separator plates? Some of them I can let soak in the trans case cooker hot water and it will lift the gaskets loose. The cooker doesn't do anything to loosen 4T65E and some others. So I wind up using a razor blade for part and a 3M cookie for the rest.
cktrans

Re: Factory glued on separator plate gaskets

Postby dhritsko » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:30 am

I used to have a 5 gallon pail of carb cleaner ( Mugnus I believe ) and soaked it in it .
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries
Technical Service Manager
dhritsko

Postby aapple » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:58 am

I soak them in the cooker overnight(if possible), then use my air scraper with a wide blade. Slices them right off. Then a little cleanup with the roloc disc.

J. Adams
Duncanville, Texas

"It doesn't take much to see that the problems of three little people don't amount to a hill of beans in this crazy world"
aapple

Postby brettsb16a2 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:07 pm

I like to just replace it with a new factory glued plate because they seem to be very affordable or I just reuse them . Otherwise I just use my scotch-brite sanding disk, a dust mask and I go outside.
brettsb16a2

Postby barrycole » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:59 pm

Dave is my way too. We had a 50gal drum to soak this stuff. Used a Mac tool stone sharpened scraper and a 3m buffer. Dave we use too use carb cleaner in a drum too soak that f&^ken gummed up C-4 units clean. Strip a unit, and stink for a week! Remember those days! No Latex gloves back then! Wife new when I was working on a gummed up Ford. LOL!
Barry Cole Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Retired after 35 years
barrycole

Postby dhritsko » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:06 am

that brown goo was the most slippery stuff and S T U N K to high heaven . You couldn't get it out of your skin for days . The whole shop stunk once you dropped the pan , ahh yes the good old days .
Dave Hritsko
Transtar Industries
Technical Service Manager
dhritsko

Postby jasper1234 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:26 pm

bottom of parts wash cabinet . or if you can get your hands on a couple of cans of aerosol gasket remover is the best. the brush on permatex stuff does not workso do not buy it .i wish i could remember the name of the spray can .the stuff would turn your latex gloves to liquid in about ten seconds sean
jasper1234

Postby Allimax » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:33 pm

jasper1234 wrote:bottom of parts wash cabinet . or if you can get your hands on a couple of cans of aerosol gasket remover is the best. the brush on permatex stuff does not workso do not buy it .i wish i could remember the name of the spray can .the stuff would turn your latex gloves to liquid in about ten seconds sean

I still had a can of the aerosol spray here ( probable at least a 10 year old can) it was Permatex Gasket Remover part # 4MA, Item # 80646. I don't think they make it any more.
Allimax

Return to Automatic Transmission - General Topics